BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Saturday with Sis

Sharlotte York, meet Avril Levign.


The world knows were 8 years apart but it still surprises me how different we are. Well, it doesn't but it's amazing how totally different from me she's growing up to be.

Yesterday, after a drama filled morning with Lyds, my sister and I spent the afternoon scouring the internets for tats. We both like tats. No surprise there. What I didn't know about my sister is that if she was white could, she'd be a tatted up rocker chick. Not neccessarily Kat Von D tatted, but lots, and lots of tats. Specifically, a tatted up pin-up girl. she's a 50s girl with edge. So maybe KVD afterall! Inside of the biceps, a message. exotic scene on the hip up to the underarm. wrists and ribcage. Not only does she want lots of tats, but she wants those roses, skull and crossbones, deadly cupcake, rocker chick tats. The only thing stopping her is the image she'd portray. If "they" get tats, they're rocker, punk chicks. If she gets tats, she's a ghetto boo.

Tis true. Black girls who are tatted up look ghetto as hell. Most of the time, they are tatted up with portraits, baby feet, panthers, paw prints, and names. If Sis were to get two black pin up girls, I can't see Quandalisha in that. Anyhoo...


After I designed my next tat (words in a certain font) and she found the pin-up girls she wanted, we started looking up makeup.

She is a MAKE-UP FIEND. I am not. Although I appreciate and adore a full face of make-up (I think Monica and Eva Long. are my make-up heroes), I can't see myself doing it AND, I'm not vigilant enough with my face to make sure I scrub off everything and therefore prevent breakouts. I know myself. I keep a bottle of waterless cetaphil cleanser next to the bed and that's how I wash my face at night. That will NOT work with foundation, bronzer, et al. Sis though? After years of doing pageants, she's only getting better. And she's not afraid to try new things. She got inspired so we decided to go to the mall. You should've seen the colors she had me trying on. Yeah, I complained about 'oh baby' but I wasn't ready to jump into 80s chic. (she got that by the way. you should see it in person). I ended up getting a berry-colored glass with little blue glitter flecks. A step up from the frosty look of years past. Oh Baby, I do thank you for your years of dedicated service to my lips. You have no idea how many men I've transfixed with you by my side. *deep bow*

Now that make-up is out the way, we started wandering aimlessly and ended up in Ebeb. Yeah, no. That store gets on my nerves more and more. Way too expensive for harlot looking crap. But, I always stop by just in case that gem some hootchie thought was too conservative is still there. That's how I scored on my NYE in ATL dress. Nope, not yesterday. And surprisingly, Sis plopped down and waited for me to justify a boucle suit. (i love boucle). That store seemed right up her alley!

We left and went into R-Den B.

Is it that I'm getting older or are the clothes getting cheaper (and not price-wise)? Almost everything in there looked like something you can get at a flea market. It has to be that I'm getting older; what was cute at 21 better not be cute at 29, I'm just saying, let's show some growth please.

As we looked and touched, something caught both our eyes. Add'tl 50% of select dresses. Ain't gotta ask us twice! we look and we both find coral dresses. I pick mine up and she says, "Ew". She picks hers up and I roll my eyes. Time for the dressing room.

We both step out and admire the other's dress. "Wow, Steph! Your's looks so good on you!" "Aww, Stace, you're rocking it!" Then we look in the huge 3-fold mirror and bust out laughing. My blousy belted shirt dress, her body hugging bandage dress. My bobbed wrap, her big curly fro. My berry stained pout, her glitterfied kisser. Then we look at each other like long lost twins do in the movies when they reunite and realize how different their lives are. Like, "Brrr, are we even related!?"


Got our dresses and walked some more. I oohed and ahhhed at the LP windows, she fawned over the tribal funky patterns in XXI. We talked and walked right into B.Johnson where she was head over heels about some cardigan with guns on it and i was loving a tiered organza dress.

When you're that far apart from a sibling, I thought you kinda grow up admiring and wanting to follow in their footsteps a little. Or not! I guess leaving for college when she started 5th grade allowed her to form her own little personality that couldn't be anymore opposite that mine.

2 returned the favor:

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

This post was sweet and endearing.

KB said...

Awww, this was so sweet. Now that my sister is at home, I'm surprised by how much we actually have in common. I hate shopping with her because she always makes a beeline to the exact item I'm eyeingl she always gets there first because her legs are longer. I love having a little sis!