BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Post Puppy Depression

If Tima is any indication of how I'll be when it's time to have children...


I attribute part of my baditude last week to Tima. Last week was our first week home and like a baby, she cried every two hours. 8pm, 10pm, midnight, 2am, 4am, and finally 6am when it was time for me to get up anyway. That was Sunday and Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday, it was every 3-4 hours. I am the Queen of Sleep. Being sleep deprived and dealing with 19 five & 6 year olds is not my idea of a good day or WEEK.

So not only did she wake me up all hours, but then the mess made while I was at work. I kept her in the bathroom but 8 hours of puppy bladder and bowels... *sigh*. Luckily, it was a small area but that didn't really make it better. I sometimes wish I didn't keep her in there cause that isht gets concentrated.

So now I'm sleep deprived, drained from teaching, and having to come home to clean my bathroom as if it's Saturday morning. Actually, I'm cleaning more than i would on a Saturday. I'm on my hands and knees pinesol-ing tiles. Yes, I'm wiped down the bathroom tile by tile. Her little dirty foot ass would walk in her mess so I was leaving nothing to chance.

And of course to clean the bathroom, I'd have to let her out. You already know once the bathroom is clean, there'd be something else for me to clean in the front room. It just never stops with her. You can take her out for 30 minutes, come in for 10 and there's a puddle of pee. You have got to be kidding me.

Drew says, "She's a puppy! She doesn't know any better!" Whatever, Koke and Russ weren't like this. He countered that with, "Y'all were in college when you had them. You had way more time to be home and patience." I'll give him that. But I'm not that person anymore.

Now besides the filth factor, her personality is off the wall. They say she's rott and beagle mix but I think jack russell and beagle. If you know anything about JR terriers, you'd know they are WIRED. The only time they turn off is when they are asleep. And they only sleep for a few hours at a time. Other than that, they're on 10, no 12. Ripping and running, and biting, and barking, and growling, and hopping, and jumping, and just being busy. I can't even put on some jeans without wrestling her for my pant leg. Or chasing her for my other sneaker.


Drew was being snarky when he said, "You want a puppy, but not the work that comes with it. What are you going to do with your children?" After chasing Tima down after she felt the need to explore her horizons via hedges and shrubs (bitch knew I couldn't reach her that way, freaking underground tunnel for puppies) AND cleaning up SEVEN puddles (she just didn't stop. I laid down FOUR puppy pads) I told him,

"Babies wear diapers. Babies don't run away. Families help when a baby is involved. If you're sleep deprived, it doesn't matter cause you're most likely on maternity leave."

Still, I really hope she isn't even the smallest indication of how I'll be. Whatever the case, she's way too aggressive and messy for me at this point of my life. I'm going to give her back, since I can.

4 returned the favor:

Unknown said...

LOL...I think you'll be a great mom, but boy was this story hilarious! I got an instant image of you with yellow rubber gloves on scrubbing the hell out of that floor, lol.

I am considering a dog for my birthday and consulted my dad for a few tips. For starters you might need a different breed, maybe more of a lap dog like a Shih Tzu or a Yorkie. They have energy, but are most comfy just relaxing in your lap or in their own space. I'm planning on getting a Shorkie (Shih Tzu Yorkie mix). You might also want to consider adopting a young dog (not an adult) instead of a puppy, this way they will most likely already be housebroken.

For the bladder issue, my dad suggested getting a little dog fence to keep the puppy in while at work. Put it in a corner of your living room and leave food/water, pee pad and a little toy. The dog will be confined but still have some room to stretch its legs. Then he told me set a strict routine for the dog and not feed it after a certain time. He stops feeding his after 8/9pm, walks her at about 10/11p and then the dog is good until morning where he walks her again before he leaves an she's usually good until he gets home.

If that doesn't work, there is always puppy kindergarten. I don't know about where you live, but here in NYC there are TONS of puppy kindergarten classes that will potty train your pet in a few short sessions for a reasonable fee.

It's frustrating, but with a little patience and practice you'll be a great dog mommy and a great real mommy too :-)

Cluizel said...

awwww!!! Puppy! :-)

My Mom's Maltese pulled that mess at first...I swear that little thing danced in his poop and then walked on every clean spot he could find in his little blocked off area.

Nicolay is 3.5 and he is still a jerk...but he's a Yorkie so I suppose that is what I signed up for. He was doing so well in my new apt until I caught him sniffing my new rug too much. Little b*tch stop!!! The world is not your toilet! I took 3 days off when I moved so I could monitor his little ass and make sure he KNEW where the bathroom was.

Its frustrating at times but I love my little jerk

Adei von K said...

Danielle- I think I'll be a great mom too! Being a kinder teacher has def given me heads up!
Yeah, I need a calmer breed. I'm not as young as I used to be so Miss Tima is not getting it. But at the same time, I don't necessarily want a lap dog. I like big dogs I like the idea of a young dog. This two month old is not getting it!!

Clu- aww man, it was like Daddy Day Care one day. I walked in the bathroom and I SWEAR there were poo paw prints on the roof!!! They were def on the doors! Ummmm. when are you going to post again??

DaniColoredGlasses said...

I needed this post in the worst possible way. I had been entertaining the idea of a puppy but not the work load....THX! I'm over it :-)