BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

*smiling*

today was a good day! why? i got gangsta on my class and was changing colors left and right. For those of you who don't know, behavior modification in the lower grades is usually done by color. Green is good and it goes from there. yellow, orange, red, blue. i've only had to put one student on blue since i started and that means principal's office; a BIG GINORMOUS deal if you're in kindergarten!! especially since our prin is 6'5. He looks as imposing as his title suggests!

so yeah, i changed hella colors today. a bit sadistic, i agree. But here's the flip side. Those children who managed to stay on green got either a choc chip cookie or sugar cookie from publix, and at the end of the day, a swish cup filled with Gold.fish crackers. I LOOOOOOOOVE my Green students!! if they stay on green all week, they get treasure box which has COOOOL STUFF like glow sticks (for the future ravers, duh), mini jars of play-d.oh, sparkly pencils, watches, etc.

but here's the real reason why i am toooooooo excited.

I have 4 kids who get speech therapy twice a week. Today, my favorite girl took her mini reader we've been working on to speech to read to the therapist. Why did the therapist come back crying with joy? she interrupted my whole group reading to tell me that my heart (D.Jones), is pronouncing so well; reading with fluency, intonation and prosody, she's doing a WONDERFUL job, and she kept on going on and on. then she started welling up again and added, "you are such a marvelous teacher, oh my gosh the growth in your students! please always send the mini readers with them cause its literally bring tears to my eyes to see and hear the product of your awesome work!! I am so proud! Ms. Kutieboots you are doing an awesome job!"


*batting eyelashes* who me??? lil ole newbie me?? AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! SHUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait. I have one more reason to be excited. technically, two.

So i volunteered to do after-school tutoring with kinders who are on the bubble of promotion. All of us submitted names to the reading coach of children who need an extra boost in reading and reading skills and therefore will move on to 1st grade. Mind you, I volunteered. I went to pick up my students (who come from the 5 other teachers, we don't get our own students) and why did they cheer cause I was their tutor?? Who was feeling her head inflate a little bit?

me.

Get back to my classroom and I outline how our 1 hour sessions will be. Time really does fly when you're having fun! I wanted just 15 more minutes!!! Oh well, we did 3 out of the 4 12-minute activities I had planned but I was able to get in my read-aloud. Dr. Se.uss is an AWESOME man. Pure genius. I need allllll his books in my life. Him and eric ca.rle. Anyway, I read I Can Read with My Ey.es Shut and emphasized the part, "the more you read, the more you know". Its so true!!!! reading is the best thing you can do for a child. Even if its a book they already know, read it over and over again for fluency which is a GINORMOUS deal!

damn! in my excitement, i need to digress!!

So about tutoring that i volunteered for. Why did I find out that we get paid for this?

who's too happy to do what she loves and get paid for it? Oh my gosh, God is so good!


one last thing that is tied to this. another teacher had one of my babies. another one of my cuties who I adore. mad rapper from boston who loves to play basketball... anyhoo, she said my student was a delight and the most well mannered child in her group. so excited and driven to do well!!

guess who was beaming from ear to ear??

me.

*sigh* I love my job.


P.S. I asked my lil mexic.can what his favorite number is.

"seventy hundred and one".

I asked (to clarify),

"71?" and he said,

"No Ms. Kutieboots! seventy hundred and one! i like that number! a lot!"

FICKLE! how you just gon change up like that? what if I got you a shirt with '161' embroidered on it? how would I look now?

11 returned the favor:

Jazzy said...

You make teaching sound awesome. It's so obvious how much you love it.

My best friend is a teacher (6 years now) and so does my cousin (almost 10 years), yet both are still considered NEWBIES...I know how hard it is to get the older teachers to admit you're doing a great job, so kudos to you!

My limit is two kids at a time...three if there's at least one over ten. I could not imagine an entire class of youngsters....scary! lol

Cluizel said...

awwwww!!!! Look at you changing lives and such!

Desy said...

awwww- i love making a difference with kids... but only when i have to...lol

i was thinkin about bein an SLP in the school system, but i don't get to do therapy the way i like (intensive, one on one)<--- it's the most potent and offers the best possibility for success and maintenance...

it's always the newbies that do the best work...Congrats on doin big things girly

So...Wise...Sista said...

Holy shit, cookies??? Can I be green!!!

You're awesome. I know exactly zero teachers who sound as enthusiastic as you. Awwwww! :)

Jameil said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

& you are so silly on the number shirt!!!! LMAO!!! I miss you, kid.

Southerner in Suomi said...

Gurl!!! Tell me why my elementary school teacher was this 6 foot black lady who had been at the school 30 years. Eight as principle.

THEN she knew my grandmother. I didn't find this out until 6th grade, then I knew why my mom was up there 15 min. after I got into some ish.

Victoria Page said...

This post is why teachers ROCK!!!!

I like the colors method...Miss Beasley responds to that better at school than the star chart.

Rashan Jamal said...

Go head Stace! It's not having a bighead if it's true.

My favorite number is 74, followed by 11 and 25 (My birthday) LOL

Jazzy said...

Oh Stacie Dahhhhhhhlink! You've been tagged!! See the blog for details!

p_nami said...

You are the exact type of teacher we need teaching children the fundamentals. I have so much respect for you and your job!

Dopelikelouboutins said...

Your kids sound too cute minus the frequent color changing ones. I agree with OP you make teaching sound worthwhile I wish I had the patience for it to enrich children's lives on a daily basis for several hours lol