BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, December 10, 2009

All in a Name

Resurection First Daughter Second Son


That's what my name means.

I was listening to the radio this morning and they gave off list of names that have a particular connotation. My first name and 9 others give people the impression that I'm "nice". Frances, Kelly, Molly and some others I can't think of cause they weren't usual.

There are the names that people think, "freak" when they hear them: Tina, Candace, Monique, Jessica (I blame roger rabbit)

Then there are the names of people you should stay away from. I don't remember them but Rory came up... who knows anyone named Rory??

*

At the beginning of the year, I get my roster and look at the names of the children I'm getting. I can't help but to make some assumptions. Dejah and Jazmine will be my princesses, roneece and demetrea will be my hood chicks, giovanni and carmelo; my hispanic sweeties, antoine and jermaine, my good ole black boys, amber, james, and kevin; my 3 whites in a class of color, etc. I wonder my teachers thought when they saw my name on their rosters. I bet they assumed I was a white girl who spoke french.

Anyway, being a teacher, there are some names that I know I can't ever use. Everyone knows that child with that name is going to be a terror.

Black boys whose name ends in 'te. Keyonte, his brother Kevonte, and their whole crew... don't want em in my class. I know one 'tae that I think, has turned out okay. he was in my high school graduating class so it was before this new breed of children came around.

White boys named Jason...Lord, I will take a class of 'Taes before a little blond hair blue-eyed satan spawn named jason. The problem with Jasons is they have no fear and don't care about LIFE. You can promise them extra computer time or more stickers and they won't give a FU(K. At least with the 'Taes, you can "allow" them to be your computer person cause all they really want is to gain your attention. Jasons? he's probably on medication and has been since he was 3.

Black girls named Kayla. BITCHES!!!!!!! How are you a bitch in 2nd grade!!?!??!!? (my first experience) Since then, every primary Kayla I've met is a problem child. And there's always one in kindergarten who gives the boys a run for their money. This year, Mrs Hill has her.

I've never had a white girl in my class. I have one this year and she's not a problem.
Rats.

Hispanic boys named Juan Carlos (JC) or Angel (pronounced an-HELL). Such holy names for little deviants.




What does your name mean? What did people assume about you before they met you?

5 returned the favor:

Anitra* said...

Do people really think "Freak" when they hear Tina - What the hell?

Anywho supposedly Martina is the female version of Martin which means "war-like" and I have gone through my periods of wanting to battle it out but I'm too old for that these days. Anitra means graceful and I like to see myself as more of Anitra than Martina.

Actually my transition has been from war-like to graceful over the last five years and I never really thought to relate it to the meaning of my names.

I wasn't named however for the meaning of my names. I was named after my God-mother Illya Martina. And my middle name is my first name backwards (without the M).

Jameil said...

I love how the person with the white name thinks she should judge the rest of us!!! HMPH. If people want to pre-judge me oh well. I can't worry about things I can't control. Even if you would've marked me one of the ghetto ones.

DaniColoredGlasses said...

Hmmm...without fail every yr of my life someone has put me down as Daniel instead of Danielle....(I blame Carib folk who pronounce my name as 'Daniel'). I have three pretty nondescript names and I think that is indicative of my school yrs.

Rashan Jamal said...

Rashan - pillar of strength - arabic - the light - hindu

Jamal - handsome - arabic

Cluizel said...

I know a Rory. lol.

Michelle...female version of Michael. "Who is like God." My brother (who was 9 at the time) suggested my name so I doubt he knew the meaning

I tried to find the meaning of my middle name and it confused me so yeah...I'll stop with Michelle.