BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Friend

Sometimes, I feel like I'm not a good one. and it all stems from my phone use. Or lack thereof.


*

I have two groups of friends. Pre College and During College.

Pre College are the people from home. We met at church, in elementary school or summer camp. WPB being a little big city, I didn't make anymore friends after el. school cause I pretty much saw those same people in middle and high school. If wasn't your friend at ICY or Roosevelt Elem, I'm most likely not your friend now. These are the friends for LIFE who will show up at a moment's notice for whatever is going on in your life, good or bad.

During College are the Hampton Homies. With the exception of Jameil, we all lived in the same freshman dorm, Kennedy Hall. These are the girls I will and have hopped on a plane to celebrate a birthday on the weekend for. Or freeze my butt off for in whatever N.E. city for. These are the girls I've road-tripped for. These are the chicks you hear about meeting in college that will be your friends for life. The girls you lived without for 18 years but can't imagine doing that again.

Now you'll notice I don't have friends from FAM. Yeah, WPB sends a lot of its Black students to Tally. A few might go out of state but for the most part, my pre-college friends were already there getting the place ready for me.


*

My friend Kitty has been calling me all week. Between school, work, safety patrol sponsoring, pops leaving, mom going away, LIFE... I've been missing her calls. I had EVERY intention of calling her back, but me being me always forgot. Then she'd call me again and I wasn't able to answer cause I was teaching or in a meeting or on the phone with mom trying to buy her a plane ticket (she's going to Boston for my godfather's funeral and hanging out till whenever). I'd make plans to call during Planning Period but get caught up in an spur of the moment conference. Okay, I'll call on the way home from school but the day would have me just wanting to get home and not think about anything.


I found out her grandmother passed away Thursday night. How did I find out? On FB.


Oh my heart broke.


Even though she didn't leave any messages, I can only assume she's been calling me to talk about her grandmother being in the hospital this past week.

Way to be there, Stace.


*


I have another friend who I PROMISE you, I haven't spoken to since I was flying out of Jaxson, MS this summer. I know that cause she called me on our way to the airport and I didn't want to be rude by having a conversation in the car. Yep, July. Nearly 4 months to the DAY, I called to wish her a Happy Birthday and the conversation flowed like we talk EVERYDAY. *sigh* I was actually very nervous about calling her cause I know I've been missing her calls and always putting off calling her back (as usual) but for us to laugh the way we did, I know everything is alright.


This post goes out to my FRIENDS. They are the people who know who you are and love you anyway.


Eww, that was such a corny cliche I feel like I got from a forward my mom sent me... (I actually read them)

Thank-you guys for putting up with me. I know we don't talk everyday and I'm glad you aren't mad at me for that :-) I love you!

(Dani, Kitty & Keesha, Martina & Jameil; my Fab 5)

6 returned the favor:

DaniColoredGlasses said...

You are loved...seriously! no worries (Not to mention if you were really good abt the phone...you'd realize how bad I am abt it--LOL).

Jameil said...

Of course you know I really am mad at you for that sometimes. Sometimes I need to talk to you!! But like that's who you are, this is who I am & I still love you. Poor Kitty. "The girls you lived without for 18 years but can't imagine doing that again." AWESOME sentence & so true!!

Rashan Jamal said...

I know I was a bad friend. So now it's just easier not to have any. LOL

Answer your phone, or send an email, smoke signal, something! (telling you to do all the things that I didn't do. you don't want to wind up like me. LOL)

Adei von K said...

Dani- I remember one Christmas after church, we were wondering how we were going to call everyone back and if we really had to... this was before mass texts ;-)

Jam- LO SIENTO!
That's how I feel about my Hampton Homies! I love you guys! Even the ones we don't talk to *cough cough*

Rashan- I will try and take your advice! I'm much better over emails!
Smoke Signals take me back to high school when I was barely allowed to use the phone! it was a running joke I'd have to use drums or smoke to communicate! LOL

Anitra* said...

I know you still love me even though you don't answer or return ANY of my calls. I just stopped calling - LOL. I'll catch you on facebook or twitter or gchat.

Cluizel said...

I don't know what I would do without FB...I used to be a phone person but I have no idea when I stopped...ehhh