BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

African Daddy

I already posted how it went when I told my dad I'm moving. That was a little over a week ago. Well Monday (I think), he actually "put his foot down" and said in an African Daddy Voice,

"I DON'T want you to move"

*snickering now. it wasn't funny then*

I rolled my eyes (not facing him of course) and asked, "Why not, Dad?"

SIDENOTE: when he's cool, he's Pops. When he's trippin, he's Dad.

"Cause there is no need for you to move. Just give it one more ye-."

and then I went off.

"ONE MORE YEAR?!!? THAT'S THE LAST THING I WANT TO HEAR!!! ONE MORE YEAR WILL GO BY AND GUESS WHAT? I'LL BE 40 WONDERING WHERE THE TIME WENT AND WHAT I DID WITH MY LIFE! ONE MORE YEAR IS THE LAST THING I EVER WANT TO HEAR CAUSE THAT MEANS I'M NOT HAPPY BUT WILL SETTLE... FOR ONE MORE YEAR! I'M OVER THAT YEAR ALREADY! IT'S BEEN THREE MORE YEARS! NO!"

I think I scared him. he had both hands in the air with the, "ok ok ok okaaaaay"

Yeah nigga, you hit a sore spot... one more year. Chile, boo.


This morning, for whatever reason, he asked me,
"Where are all your clothes?"
"At my new place"
"Where is it?"
"In West Palm Beach"
"When are you moving in?"
"Whenever"
"Who's your roommate?"
"Don't have one"
"Alright"

I think his feelings are hurt. I think he's taking it personally. I think he's offended that I would be in the same city as but not live with my parents. This isn't Ghana. It's okay for your daughter to leave the house and not jump straight into her husband's home. He was all quiet this morning... he is really hurt that I don't want to be here anymore. oh! Here's another convo

"So, did you register for grad school at UAF?"
"Nope."
"Why not? I said I'll help you"
"Cause I don't plan on being her for the two years it'll take to complete my degree"
"And where are you going?"
"I don't really know but I know this is my last year in West Palm Beach. I've been here 2 years too many"
"What is that supposed to mean?"
"It means I don't want to be in the same place I grew up. It means I am a bit resentful that came down here and I am STILL here. It means that I will NOT be here next year"

then he came with the..

"Well, that's even more reason to stay home and save your money so you can move wherever you want next year"
"Not happening. I'm out"

I so didn't expect this from him. now watch Lyds be the cool one about it, when she finally gets back from Ghana!

1 returned the favor:

Jameil said...

She probably will be. Not to mention the fact that you'll already be gone by the time she returns. it's funny that you scared him. he was probably like oh ish. she really is her mother's child. LOLOLOL!! i know i've said it several times but i'm SO happy for you for doing this for YOU!!