BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

cancelled

The principal at our school put a memo in our boxes yesterday

"Starting january 2009, all after school clubs will be cancelled."

No,
"sorry for the inconveince"
or
"I regret to inform you that..."
just cold
"no more afterschool clubs"


Like fine arts (art, music, pe), afterschool clubs are a necessity for the human growth and development of a child. People are working hard to 'Save the Music y'all' and then here you go cancelling ish

I am so hurt right now.

I am so hurt cause I have a cooking club for 2-5 graders every thursday and they LOVE it! Of course every wednesday, I'm lamenting dealing with students who aren't my own and don't know the deal within my 4 walls but Thursday comes, and I love it. I love seeing the children divy up responsibilities, and reading the directions, and doing the math that comes with every recipe. You wouldn't believe how good some cheesy biscuits made by 7 y.o. can be! Oh yeah! We are doing some real cooking in there!!

Just two weeks ago, a second grader said, "I love cooking club. I wish we had it everyday!"
Running thru my head is, "no sir! I'd go crazy!" but I ask him, "why?" He simply said, "I don't like going home. My brothers and sisters bother me and its just fun to stay at school a little longer, plus we get to learn how to cook good stuff"


*heart breaking, tears threatening to spill again*

And he's just one student. He made me think of the children who are not shining stars in their classrooms but are sooooo proud of their product every thursday. He made me think of the girl who has 3 little brothers at home who now has time to talk freely to someone her own age cause we all know you can't talk during class... he made me think of the kids who were always asking for more cause there might not be food at home. If you knew my school's demographics, that's not a off the mark concept.

I can't believe she's pulling this on us. And reasons she gave were such bs... omg
I am just so sad right now. I'll holla.

8 returned the favor:

shani-o said...

Aw, Stace that sucks soooo bad. I'm really sorry. I guess there's no way to go to the school board, or talk to parents and demand that they find some funding? (Things are tough, I know, but still.)

Rashan Jamal said...

that's too bad. I feel sorry for the kids too. Is it a money thing? Seems like that's hitting all sectors these days.

GreatWhyte said...

Can she make a decision like that unilaterally? I mean doesn't decision-making for something as siginificant as afterschool programs have to be approved by the Superintendant? That's some bull...

Jameil said...

THAT'S AWFUL!! Poor kiddos!! :( Budget cuts are coming down across the state for EVERYTHING. So terrible. I didn't even know you were doing cooking club. That's so cute! Awwww :(

the joy said...

That really sucks! Cooking is a class I still remember from a small age. You can still make their last class memorable and you never know what could happen. I'm so glad you care about these kids stace. It makes me really happy to know there's people like you out there.

DaniColoredGlasses said...

That's the worst! I wish more people understood that most of your true education happens outside the confines of school books in a classroom setting. Do you have the type of school where the parents will actually get active and vocal?

La said...

That's terrible :(

After school programs probably saved my life alot more than the classes I took from 8-3 enriched it. I hate it for those kids. What always makes me the most angry about things like this is you never see cut backs in places that can be easily done or afforded; it's always the children who suffer.

Delano1love said...

the sound of a breaking heart drowns out the sound of the failing system, yet both emit a cacauphonous (sp?) shrill seldom heard in FreedomLand.

damn.

press on teacherK