BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 16, 2008

how can i put this...

I'm a Bey love/hater. I think compared to what is out there right now -pop wise- she's the best. She has a good voice, nice image, yada yada yada. Lots of ladies love her and guys think she's "hot"; record companies DREAM. She's never in any foolishness, has been dressing impeccably since Mama stopped creating and bedazzling her wardrobe (Bey stays decked in Chanel) and on and on and on. Aside from the drama that came out of D. Child dissolving, Bey has been on the up and up.

What I don't like (cause I am a hater, too) is the formula. Every year, sometime around her B-Day (sept) give or take a month, she puts out something she's been working on for all of 4 weeks. Now granted, "it don't take the whole day to recognize sunshine" but can we get a little more dedication or effort? Oh wait, i guess when you STEAL songs, you don't need to be in the creative process for very long, just long enough to pick out a song you like, as if its an outfit.

The latest? Single Laydees has that same swizzy beat and uh-oh chant/anthem of 'Crazy in Love' and... ummmmm, damn. the one with a whole bunch of missions... pat yo weave, old school dance... drawing a serious blank cause they all run together and sound the same...

time elapsed- 5 minutes

ok, y'all know what song I'm talking about!

I WANT BEY TO SAAAAAAAANG! She's better than a cheesy anthem (how's ashanti's 'good good' doing? *eye roll* can't believe I bought that mess)! We want 'Dangerously in Love' and 'Me, Myself, and I'!! even an 'Irreplaceable' got under my skin!! I can't help but to love and hate (used loosely) her. She's so damn good at what she does. bey is what every pop artist should aspire to be.



Speaking of artists I "hate", that damn Ne-Yo is going to have me buy all his albums!! When he first came on the scene, I scoffed at his "sick of love songs". then I actually listened, got the message and thought he was BRILLIANT. Then every song he's put out has been bomb in my eyes (after riding on it first, of course).



Now someone I don't like for real? LL. Yo, you're an old man. Go sit down somewhere! I think the industry is treating him like an elderly citizen. You're not rude to them despite the fact they're crotchety. You respect them for their contribution to society and let them get away with telling you the saaaaaaaame story about what they used to do when they were our age. over and over again. Its like gospel on soul train, you just don't boo it. you know that his lyrics are wack as the fcuk but it's LL!! He Needs Love!


No, he needs to retire.



I may get some flack for this but I realized something at the Estelle, Gym Class, Roots show last week.







I don't like the Roots.




I tried reeeeeeeeeeally, reeeeeeeeeally hard for as long as I can remember. I think I fell into the whole, "I'm supposed to like them cause I like this kind of music" thing. Kinda like Stuff White People Like: Classical Music. I loved okayplayer back in the day and that's a much love the roots get from me. Oh yeah, their keys man (kamal can get it any day, any time. he actually remids me of drew). i mean, i like the singles that come out (if they do) and when I get the album... it's not the same. Things Fall Apart? Classic, I like. Illadelph? I like. Phrenology? Tipping Point, Game, Rising?? ehhhhh, I tried to like and realize: I don't. Plus, you get an AWESOME live show but obviously, a studio CD is not going to be the same. They just don't do it for me and we left early. we felt so out of touch and had NO EARTHLY IDEA what Thought was talking about. I might as well have been at a loud, cold, lecture given in Chinese.

yeah. like that.


Now your girl Estelle??? That's my chick! I was geeked hearing her sing cause she can!! Little bitty thing is funny too! Had me cracking up! Curses like a true brit, 'wind it up' while singing, and she can blow! Gym Class is bomb too! Must check them out!


Okay, that's my music rant for the day!

4 returned the favor:

Victoria Page said...

Preach! I need Bey to SANG!!! She really blew it down on "Listen" and I have been waiting for her to release an album that showcases her vocal ability to the fullest. I too am tired of the "shake it like that alley cat" anthems.

Girl, I had that "I don't like the Roots" moment right at Phrenology. Sure my sister nearly stoned me to death but I had to keep it real with myself.

the joy said...

Why did I have to turn the TV down and sing the second verse of get me bodied to remember the title?! Lol and me and my buddy patted the hell out of some weave at the gay club, lol.

I feel you on the roots. They're so so for me.

Every time Kesi hears "give her a break, like usher or Justin timberlake," he gets mad and goes off about how wack L is these days.

Adei von K said...

vpage- not alley cat! lol
i think phrenology was the turning point for a lot of people, too. i tried for them and got t. point anyway and was convinced its a wrap.

joy- i tried to do that and it still didn't work!!! lmao!!! dog, i think the pat yo weave is EVERYBODY'S fave part!!
roots= so-so with a tendency to so-no.
omg, that's the WORST line!! the whole song is the worst!!

Jameil said...

you and rah are like the same person musically. you know i've nEVER liked ashanti. i tried to hate neyo but couldn't. his albums are on point. you tried to make me like the roots, too. i like some of their stuff but some of it is just "what are you talking about, nothing is that deep." on b. i will never put myself in the love category w/her. i'm beyond over her "i put 2 wks of work into this." it shows, chick. it shows. but i do like the single ladies song for what it is-- one you gather w/your girls and yell out in the club. lmao @ ll being the hip hop elderly no one wants to disrespect. hilarity.