BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Faux Bou

so i tried a new salon last wednesday. The name? Burzh-Wah Hair and Spa. (pronounced bourgeois hair and spa)

Oh snap. I'm going to place with the bourgiest name of them all! OMG, the ratings are thru the roof! OMG, it's in Clinton Hill! Okay, calm down, Stace. Just get there early. But first, find something cute to wear.

i had on jeans and a t-shirt and i changed clothes to go get a re-touch. i put on a fitted tee and my skinny jeans. i picked my fave pink pashimina, my rainboots (it was monsooning all day) and even put a headband in my hair. yes, i got jiggy to go to the salon.

I get there 20 minutes early and I'm greeted by a skinny ass salon with 3 chairs; only one occupied. there are two dryers, two pedicure basins that i guess count for the 'spa'. the receptionist wasn't as friendly as i imagined based on the reviews. i really don't like matter-of-fact people in the service industry. and your faux bourgieness? drop it, black hipster. all that really came to mind was, "I could've left on my jeans and tee."

out comes kim, the stylist. she's an unattractive woman with unbrushed weave but a nice personality. we talk, she feels my hair and says, "okay, i'm going to use mizani on your extra thick hair"...

mizany? really? that's all you got? I used mizany 11 years ago,when it was the lye 'du jour', before the days of affirm. i mean, it's no motions (vomit!), but mizany? you don't have anything new and improved? whatever.

her assistant with arm tats bases me. 20 minutes later, she takes me to the back room where there are only two sinks. it looks like someone's room where you just keep ish hidden. tubs of relaxer all around, broken sink chair, extra fabric lying around... i was like , "this place is raggedy." She relaxes my hair in a pattern i've never had done before (she makes rows like she was cornrowing my hair straight to the back). needless to say, by the time she got to the right side of my head, my left side was tingling... then burning. She exclaimed, "Oh my gosh, are you serious?!?! I based you good! You scratched, didn't you? OMG, I hope this relaxer takes." *in your best NY hoodrat voice*

No I hope this regular ass mizany relaxer takes!

She works it in despite my squirming; rinses, washes, repeats. Conditions, rinses, and sets me under the dryer.

Wait, no flat wrap? no setting lotion? no rollers??

No, they don't use rollers at the salon. I get my hair blown out by her and then kim finally touches my hair. she flat-irons it straighter than straight so she can trim it. then she flat irons it into a style.

So we just all about the quadruple heat up in this place? I'm good on that. I like my roots straight. My hair, I don't want "movement". I like hair to feel thick and healthy; not flat and anemic. Also, if that's what y'all were going to do, I could've gone to the dominicans for $40.

so yeah, like my search for a church, the hunt continues. until then, i will get the domis in bed-stuy to roller wrap my hair, holla.

0 returned the favor: