BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, December 05, 2010

What I Learned from Him (1)

i just went to the laundry room to start my second load of laundry and I saw some camo peeking from under a basket. I bent down and saw it was the 'hot weather cap' from PVC C. L. WHITE.


Wow.

he was my first boyfriend at FAMU. He was my (equivalent of a student leader) tour guide during TOPS (total orientation for parents and students) who caught my eye. 6 foot, 230? I'm there. We started dating at the end of the first football game. Yes, he asked me out old school style at the end of a football game. LOL, it was actually cute.

What led to our demise was another woman. I think I was actually "the other woman". I remember that spring 2003 day, I was truly heartbroken cause I couldn't believe that someone would NOT treat me the way I had been treating them. I take the "Golden Rule" very seriously!!

Whatever the case, he was Army reserve and activated in Feb 2003. Went to iraq and everything. made it back in one piece only to die on the operating table.


Yes, he is dead.

I have an ex who is no longer with us.


When he got back from Iraq, he went back to school, crossed Que and was seemingly back to normal. With a combination of not (having to) tak[ing] care of himself and medication many of our vets are put on to re-acclimate them to civilian life, C. L. was a candidate for gastric bypass surgery. It was on the table the world lost him. Not on the front lines, not from an IED or suicide bomber. Here in the States.

Holding his hat for the first time in some years, I was flooded with the memories we shared. They were good at first and I only wish we ended on a good foot cause I really liked his family and they loved me. We talked about the future (I believed him) and I saw a future with him. What shook me as I put on his hat like I used to do Fall 2002 was "What If...?"

What if we jumped on that marriage before war bandwagon and wedded before he was deployed. I'd be a widow.

What if I was still in the picture, even as a friend to tell him, "C Dub, let's go for a run."

What if...





I told you this story cause there is someone I love DEEEEEEEAAAAARLY who is overweight. Yes, it's Drew. He's beyond the range I like. By 20+ pounds. I don't want him to be on someone's table and not make it. During our time apart (yes, we're taking break) I told him what I'm going to do and he asked, "Well what should I do?"

Work out. Not just for you, for me.

4 returned the favor:

Jameil said...

I hear you... but honey Drew isn't overweight enough to be a gastric candidate. You're more scared of what COULD be?

Adei von K said...

yeah, I'm def scared of what could be. if he continues on the path he's been on for the past 4 years, it's not looking good.

but even if gastric isn't an option cause he's not THAT overweight (are we justifying overweightness?) we all know the health risks that accompany big waists. if he gets to gastric levels, I don't even want to know what his cholesterol, BP, respiratory, and the like are at.

Naima said...

Please accept my apologies for the well-intentioned but ill-timed text message the other day. I had no idea :o(

Adei von K said...

Nima, you are soooooo okay! It's still info I need, right? just not for next July!

Girl, I was going crazy; had to take a step back. and of course i'm not announcing it everywhere (see FB or twitter) so no need for the apology, you're good!