BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Day 3- Your Parents

My dad loves to tell the story of how they met...


Washington, D.C. 1980, they were at a party my dad's brother was throwing. All the Ghanians in the area were there. My mom had on some red Jordache jeans and my dad was hooked.



That's all I got out of them! If I ask my mom, she just starts rolling her eyes and giggling. So cute!

They were married 3 months after Pops graduated from U.Mass, August 7, 1981 (oooh! anny is this SATURDAY!). Pops passed his pharmacy board exams but wasn't finding work in a racist Boston. Enter Florida. He drove down to Okeechobee, found a job and sent for his new wife and new daughter 9 months later. A year later, we move to a growing West Palm Beach and the rest is history.

My parents are the most loving people I know. Not in a mushy emotional way, just in the simple way of how they would provide any and everything for us. I know that's what all parents are supposed to do but as I get older, I think and thank them everyday for the blessed life I have. I have no worries about anything because I know Ricardo and Lyds will have my back.

Now this is not to say it's been smooth sailing in our household. Mom and I have bumped heads for most of my life. I actually remember thinking she was my evil stepmother when I was younger and I asked Daddy if she was. I wasn't convinced when he said no. The thing with her is that she wants the best for us and becomes almost a zealot for us. She almost loves too hard. She tried too hard to protect and shelter us, especially me. She def got more lax as more children came around. Or maybe SK2 and 3 just weren't taking it from her sooner. Of course high school was THEE worst. She used to come up to school to make sure I wasn't skipping and even chaperoned my junior prom. She was the reason I didn't get homesick NAN NOTTA ONCE when I went off to college. I couldn't wait to leave and be free. Everyone just knew when I went off to school, I'd wile out, but I didn't. That's what I wanted Lyds to realize when I was home. I wanted her to know she did a good job raising me.

Pops has always been the cool parent. Mom was the iron fist and Pops was the velvet glove. But because of his easy going ways (total opposite of his dad), I felt it more rewarding to meet his expectations and make him proud. With mom sometimes, we (Stafelt like she would find something, anything wrong. And if you call her out on it, that became a whole 'nother issue.


Whatever the case, together, they make an awesome parental unit!

3 returned the favor:

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

Awwwwww! another sweet family story! I love it. I'm sort of afraid to do this challenge. My story is not rosey. These stories make me cry!

Jameil said...

Happy Anny to GG & Poppa Diddy Pop!!

GP... maybe because it's not rosy it will help someone else.

Adei von K said...

GP- ditto what Jameil said! I think it might be good for you to share...

Jam- you saw my tweet? those two didn't even remember! Mom was like, "What day is it?" and Pops tried to play it off like, "It's not today... is it?"!