BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Spring

Now clearly, it's not spring time but, it's the start of spring semester. Being in college for 7 years and teaching for the past three will have me splitting my years into Springs and Falls!

So it's "spring" time. Getting ready to kick my kinders into high gear! Those of y'all who weren't reading (I have 3 out of 19), I hope you got brains for Christmas! Those of you that were reading, keep up the good work!! Although I didn't miss my babes not once this break, I am excited to see them on Tuesday! I wonder who lost teeth, who got much needed sneakers, etc.

Another reason I'm excited, our chief academic officer, the one who came to town shooting and blazing and changing everything with blanket abandon, has been "reassigned". The VERY FIRST DAY of Christmas break, it hit the local news stations. I just happened to have the TV on when the 'caster read, "SDPBC's CAO has been reassigned. His position has been absorbed by the super and the previous CAO."

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!??!

You have no idea how mind-boggling that is! I know this semester is going to be interesting if nothing else. He's the one who implemented the district wide lesson plans that were hit or miss, lacking supplies, non-sequential, etc. He attacked our district with a 'one size fit all' approach and that rarely works. It barely works in the individual classrooms! Anyway, seeing how he was new, I assume, HE assumed we all had the same resources...

My school is 90% free and reduced lunch. You know what that means? My school doesn't have the same things as the school with 0% free/red lunch + 100% PTO participation. I do applaud his effort and I'm sure a lot of the mess can be blamed on the principals but whatever. I'm here to teach my 19 the best I can with what I have.



So now that teacher talk is out the way, what's really good for Spring? Oh! I have one more goal to add to my list!


Read at least 24 books this year.
The game plan is to read a non-fiction book in two weeks and spend the other two weeks reading world lit. For those of you that know me, non-fiction is not in my reading vocab. I can spend weekends lost in translated books. Well, I aim to change that.

24 books will be a challenge. My days are spent at school and when I'm spent, I'm spent. Being such a morning person puts a damper on extra-curricular activities. I don't feel like doing ish when I get home from school! And reading is the last thing I want to do! I read all day!!! Reading directions, reading journal prompts, reading whole group, small group reading, team meeting notes! But, this is about reading for enjoyment and education.

I wonder if I should add magazines... I have hella subscriptions but guess how many I read? Yep, that stack of Time magazine has never had a cover peeled back. #literacyfail

Nah, I want to buy books.

Alright y'all this is my last free day! I'll holla!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 returned the favor:

Jameil said...

You're going to go from 0 books a year to 24? Esp. because sometimes non-fiction is hard to get into. Two I like are 'The Color of Water' and 'Dreams From My Father.' Not brains for Christmas! You are a mess! I have 3 unread GQs. Too labor intensive/irritating.