BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Under Full Sail

Today's lesson taken from The Upper Room

For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him.
Psalm 62:5-8

The day was warm and muggy as I eased my sailboat out of its berth toward the open water of the lake. The engine purred along, and my plan was to get the boat to a place on the lake where the winds were high enough to make use of the sails.

Soon I realized there was little wind on the lake. I stopped the engine, raised the sails, scanned the water's surface, and looked for any sign of wind. Sitting there in the sweltering sun, barely moving, I felt frustrated and bored. But I had listened to the weather reports earlier and heard that winds were to increase throughout the day, and so I waited. Before long I was enjoying the day with God's breath as my propulsion system.

That experience made me think of how we sometimes get frustrated and bored with our lives. During those times, we often turn to worldly diversions and other people to make us happy. We forget that if we trust in God as our true wind, the lull we experience can be followed by the exhilaration of moving forward. We will experience God's promise.

Dear God, help us to be patient during the boring times in life and to remember that wonder is ahead.

*

How fitting is that? I promise you everytime, EVERYTIME I go to the Book for a message, it is eerily right on target. I can't even count days when I don't feel like going to church but make it and the Word was emailed straight from God to me thru Father Thomas/Wright...

This message is for my restless 20-somethings. Our lives haven't even begun yet :-)

7 returned the favor:

DaniColoredGlasses said...

That was so necessary...I can't even explain how necessary....Whew!

Brew said...

Amen and amen, again!

Jameil said...

God is such a G!

magnoliapeach said...

In the words or word of my southern counterparts when the Pastor has spoke the truth:

Well!!!

(waving hand and shaking head)

Rashan Jamal said...

wait.. is this inspiration?

Southerner in Suomi said...

God always reminds us that He's got it under control

Adei von K said...

Dani- He's always right on time!

Brew- can I throw one more in? AMEN!

Jam- BIG G!

MagP- PREACH!

Rah- yes, it is!

VDizz- right? we just have to let go and let God!