BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

the message

I got my hair done last saturday and was slightly annoyed for most of the time there. Now my hair came out amazing but my hair dresser and one of her collegues AND that dresser's patron were talking so much about how much they give. and it almost became a contest about who is the most giving. Scripture was exchanged, each lady was one upping the other,

"My sister and I are cooking for people at church who do not have families. you know the holiday season is when the suicide rates rise..."

"Yeah? I make sure I send money to ALL my relatives and then I put what little is left in my bank account for my family"

"I am going to the hospital to visit before and after work..."

"I give to every charity..."

"I'm going to heaven and you're not..."



I'm kidding about the last one but I was waiting for that to pop out of someone's mouth. Now I am ALLLLLLLLL about helping those less fortunate but I kinda think it defeats the purpose when you are trumpeting to the world how much of a "gracious" giver you are. Its not really gracious when you are tooting the hell out your own horn (and I know a thing or two about tooting my own horn).

I think I did get a message out of them though. The patron said something about not knowing when you might be helping Jesus out, "the least of these..." or something like that. It made me think of those bracelets that were the rage and lost the original point of the question: "WWJD?" Whatever the case, the next day in church, the Gospel of the Lord according to Matthew brought me to tears.

May the Lord be with you this holiday season.





Addendum
Starbux is giving $0.05 from every hand crafted drink they sell on Dec 1 to an African AIDS fund... I don't know if I should be upset about that. On one hand, what's 5 cents when you're barstucks? can we at least get a dime out of you? but on the other hand, if they sell 50 million drinks across the nation, that's $2.5 mil to G. Fund/AIDS in Africa. How much am I donating to the fund? How much are you donating?


And this is where I am today.

3 returned the favor:

Jameil said...

you know how i feel about those donation things. why not just donate instead of doing it via another org who's just overcharging you anyway instead of taking the money out of their profit? if i see they're taking it out of their profit i will consider. the bux? ehh... you know i don't trust that cult anyway. but abt the one-upper christians. TYPICAL!! lol. that's why people don't go to church now! people like them!

the joy said...

lol yeah when i read the % cent thing a couple of weeks ago i was like what??? but anything's better than nothing, right? and who knows how much a gap tee is donating, so...

Southerner in Suomi said...

I skipped the cult and dropped some change on the salvation army bell ringers. Bucks and other places only do that to boost sales in the guise of charity. Not feelin' it.