BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

is blood thicker than the color of water?

Written 2/15/08

so La had a post about family. her birth family and the one she chooses to have. i remember her comments on my blog when my brother and I were having a positively HEINOUS living experience and I have to say that b/c they're your family, doesn't mean you have to put up with them. in her most recent post, she noted that if a boyfriend was treating you horribly, you'd dump him so why not the family member? all for a little blood?


something you don't know.

recently, i told drew i needed some time to think about things within me, about him and about us. not a break-up, just a time to reflect and project. as you've read before, his family was a sore spot with me. read the post and come back. ummm, we talked yesterday and i found out some things.

his parents are very jewish and have the "don't bring a non-jewish girl home" thing going on.
they know what drew's doing and are not amused.
drew is basically disowned.


he hasn't talked to them since... spring '07 is what's coming to mind. i remember telling him to go hang with his peeps while my parents and I packed for ghana or something. he said, "yeah right. i'm going home". Its so funny how i didn't put 2 & 2 together... also, the time his sister came over and she was filling drew in on family biz. it didn't cross my mind that drew should know about his own parents, he should know that they are on vacation in Colorado


Its almost a year since I wrote hat post and I'm sad to say, not much has changed.

To be continued

3 returned the favor:

Rashan Jamal said...

Time for another talk?

Adei von K said...

Man, I have a SUPER talk scheduled for us.

the joy said...

Wow. I mean, some people just can't do parents. They don't know how to accept you. Jes and I haven't spoken to our respective fathers de a while now. His dad even got married! And its not us, its them. I know what its like to be close to family, but like you said if they're messing up, why not "break up." people are in your life for seasons...