BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Art Basel 2007

that's where I was last night. look it up, then come back and read my post. I would hyperlink it, but i'm on a Mac. Apple thinks they're so cool...

so Drew and I started our night at Ralph's showroom (Cassagnol Designs). Ralph makes bomb furniture out of metal in the Design District of Miami. More recently, he's added awesome clothing by Haitian brothers and neat wood furniture by another haitian craftsman. Ralph had a cooler with beer and wine. Don't mind if I do...
.

Drew and I walked some blocks to where the art galleries were. And where there's art, there's liq.

Seeing how Campari was one of the sponsors, there were Campari carts all over. Don't mind if I do...


this was one of Drew and I's fave pieces, Melting Inuit. Being the teacher that I am, it didn't make sense because there is no left to right directionality that you have to know when you learn to read... still cute though.


there was this bomb modern art gallery that made a lot of fun of Apple products. Drew didn't think it was too funny. I thought it was huh-larious (as I type on my macbook while listening to my itouch). Here's a picture of a picture titled Barefoot Sneaker.


We walked into a furniture gallery that was so awesome! I want a dining table made out of humongous driftwood! Everything in there was shades of cream and brown! There were these sepia toned photos of palm trees that I need to have one day and lamps that were made of hollowed out branches. Coolness. Oh yeah, seeing how Moet was another sponsor, don't mind if I do...

There was this giant gallery that was soooooo L.A. Drew and I stood out cause we were just wearing Express and Polo. Oh no, you had to have skater shoes, leg warmers, rainbow colored hair, a messenger bag, striped tights, whatever is so ugly, its cool. It looked like L.A. Ink in Miami. We sat in a giant comic strip that didn't make much sense... one panel said, "yeah he's a cripple, but at least he got his braces off." oh.kaaay...?


There were many more exhibits including a live farm one, complete with pigs and chickens. Not in Miami! Too glamorous for that! Not when it comes to Art Basel, anything goes. let me tell you about the pieces we saw and didn't like.


a video of a man lying naked. the camera was in between his legs and all you saw was him lying there. all limp and shit.

a compilation of a murder scene. yes, this lady lived next door to a man who killed his wife. she had about 12 11x20s of the day. the slain wife slumped over in her chair, the man who turned the gun on himself, the policewoman who was in charge, the artist's daughter who was hiding under her bed when she heard the gunshots... yeah, not a fan of heads blown off.

a carwash roller. rolling.

two slide projectors in large metal cages showing random ass colors on perpendicular walls.

pantyhose dolls. take your average nylons and stuff them with plastic bags and make dolls.

I can't even remember HALF of the ish we saw in the name of art. I liked MOST of the photos that I saw like this one called Urban Roots. It showed a flower growing from a crack in the road. So beautiful and soft against the grainy, gravely asphalt. I want it for the White Room i'm going to have one day.

I already mentioned the sepia palms... pretty much anything that was an actual photo, I liked. Not too keen on modern art. Its so faux deep. Like Mondrian squares. WTF is that about? Is that art? Jackson's Pollock's fall looks like paint splatter. Art before Pop Art (begining of time- 1950's) is all me.

Speaking of art, thinking about going back school to get a B.A. in art history. got a B.S in my chosen profession, why not gain more knowledge in my chosen obsession?

8 returned the favor:

the joy said...

Ooh looks like fun! I'd have been loving the live animal exhibit. Love how you have a drink in every pic. And your cute "weekend professional" shirt.

That pic with the shoes... I thought it was a blow up doll at first.

Jameil said...

unnecessary degrees for all? i looove jackson pollock. lmao @ don't mind if i do all over. sooo funnny. faux deep is so not me. tell me again why 1) we didn't go to ralph's studio and 2) they didn't have this while i was there? hmph.

Jameil said...

oh yeah and you look toooo adorable.

La said...

mmm campari, lol.

Oh there was other stuff in this post? meh.

Adei von K said...

joy- it was fun! besides the art (which i love), it was a good time for people watching. thanks for the compliment on my shirt :-)

jameil- should i ever come up on a pollock, its yours.
hey! you got your rosa cha, i want my degree!!
take up not going to Ralph's with Dreezy... you know he had his own agenda (lmao) thanks on the compliment, Express is good to me :-)

la- yeah, that campari spritzer was great... *sigh* i miss art basel

Jameil said...

rosa cha = degree??? errr??? lolol. at least i wanted mine for real for a year (or so). you're casually happening upon a possible degree. so funny. professional student self.

So...Wise...Sista said...

I was so preoccupied by the ubiquitous drinks, and your braids. SO cute.

Ok, focus...art.

Wait, Moet was there too??

Eb the Celeb said...

dont you just hate that about the mac... it really limits my blog creativity

oh and cute pics