BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Day 1- Introduce Yourself

Let's see if I can do this. Would be nice if I could complete a blog challenge, don't you think?


*

Well, I'm Adei. Adei means "First Daughter" and it's in the line of names my dad's family uses. It's not really MY name but it's in the first daughter "pool" of names. I could go into the whole thing with Ghanian names but that's s whole 'nother post.


Trying to give you an objective view of myself... I think being the first/oldest daughter has def contributed to my ways. If you're thinking i'm super organized and assertive and take charge, think again. I'm more hippie than alpha male. I'm rarely phased and I now know it's cause I'm the first child.

As the first child, I was coddled. On top of that, mom staying at home gave me an AWESOME foundation for learning so school has always been a breeze. So much so that I skipped a lot and even got bad grades. Not cause I didn't know the material, but b/c I

a) either didn't go to class
b) didn't do the class/homework cause I knew I'd do well on a presentation or test or paper.

Oh yeah, I figured I do well on tests too soon in life.


Another first thing with me is generation. My peeps are from Ghana but I was born and raised here in the US; cool. I grew up Ghanian (but they gipped us out of learning to speak the language). Because of that, I usually feel removed from a lot of the issues I hear regarding race and race relations in America. It's also part of the reason I made sure I went to an HBCU. I wanted a "black experience". Oh, Hampton. ('nother post).

On a lighter note, I trip Jameil out when I try to say colloquialisms or sayings. For example, I may say something like, "What's good for the goose is also good for the rooster" or "Well isn't that calling the pot a kettle!" Yeah, all wrong. Thanks, Mom!

*By the way, my mom still thinks 'Now & Laters' are called 'Now and Afters'


Because I am the first daughter, there's a lot of pressure on me to do what my parents say. Even at 28, I'm still learning how to be independent/assertive. I used to balk at my younger siblings for being so disobedient. But they were just finding their own way sooner than I was. I was used to doing what I was told or being heavily guided. I get nervous with great, massive change, especially if it comes on my own accord.

Right now, I'm in the middle of a move halfway across the country (North-South wise) and I'm nervous as all get out. My peeps weren't cool with it but now my dad is. Mom doesn't know (lol... kinda).


STAY TUNED!

2 returned the favor:

Jameil said...

HAHAHAHAHA @ pots and kettles. There are a whoooole lotta "nother posts" in this joint!! I think that removed from issues of race & race relations thing is something I'd like to hear a lot more about, too. I don't do the obedient thing anymore. Some of the things my mom tells me now even make me roll my eyes like she doesn't trust me to be the 27-year-old (I'm not 28 like you) responsible woman she raised me to be!!

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

I know the first daughter syndrome all too well. I felt obligated for years to listen to my mother. Thank God I got to the stage where I can makeup my own mind to much of the "advice" she gives. Great post!