BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Extraneous Protocol? *UPDATED*

So as usual, I'm on FB, stalking newly engaged people and counting the years I've known my beau...

sadistic? masochistic? both?

anyway, what I've noticed is a big thing is the engagement party. Since when was that the thing to do? To me, it seems like an awesome idea; I love a reason to have a party but then again, when you're planning a wedding, budget is a big deal and where does an extraneous party fit in? So, on the other side of that coin, the engagement party seems superfluous.

But it is a party. I like parties.


Another seemingly extraneous expense; STDs.

I was wary of STDs. I remember the first one we got in the mail. It was a postcard with a picture of my godsis and her fiancee. I was so confused. "Is this what wedding invitations are now? We're extra casual with the invites?" I mean, I saw the words, "Save the Date" but it didn't register. That was back in '06. Then as college classmates got engaged, they started flooding in, months in advance, warning us to 'Save the Date'. Magnets, postcards, mini movie posters (my fave) "starring" the couple. But now, like Jameil, I was swayed and amazed by Soon to be Mrs. Patti's approach.

But... that's an added paper expense!! Even if you're gansta with it like Miss Patti!! and I know I won't be!

Lastly, engagement pics.

Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with pictures. Well, I don't have a problem with pictures I take. I just keep thinking back to senior year when i was working my lil part time job and had to spend all my money on my senior AND cap and gown pictures. Professional pics/photogs scare me. I look at graduation albums of friends and wonder why I didn't have cap and gown pics shot all over Tally but then I remember, I didn't have a job. Professional pictures cost MONEY! So why is it the thing to have photo albums of you and yours? Jam and I went a wedding site today and were AMAZED with all the albums!!! Christmas, Just Cause, etc!!! Really?? All that??

I'm not going to front, I will probably do all the aforementioned. I think the e-pics are some of the best professional pictures i've seen. They are sooooo adorable!
With my friends split up between two colleges and sprinkled all over the place, STDs will be mandatory and I think and e-party is a wonderful way to kick off the wedding season for a couple.

Damn peer pressure.

*ADDED*
I think there is one more thing to add... if you have the money for it. The PRE-Honeymoon trip. Yep, I've seen it. The album was awesome and I want one. NOW.

6 returned the favor:

DaniColoredGlasses said...

LOL i thought I was the only one that skipped cap & gown pics b/c of the cost....Hmmm...Grams just asked me 3 weeks ago, where my grad pics were b/c she wanted to put it next to Ash's....ummm...Didn't buy them FIVE yrs ago (sigh). STD's and invites are necessary evils I suppose, but I'm so not sold. I think I'm starting an internal revolt against all wedding protocol items. Why Can't I just make my own rules???? (Rant Over)

Unknown said...

I spent ALL afternoon yesterday looking at the hundreds of pics from a wedding of some former coworkers...ALL AFTERNOON!

pre honeymoon trip?!? wow...If I can afford it by the time I get married I would do it too. I already know I am going to have a small wedding...I would rather spend money on trips anyway

"Clu"

Rashan Jamal said...

I was like STD? I'm wary of those too, then I realized that meant save the date. LOL

Professional pictures scare me only because they inevitably come out looking stiff and awkward. Maybe you can hook me up when the time comes since you are into that stuff. LOL

Jameil said...

pre-honeymoon trip? yeah right. that is outrageous. sit yo but down. i don't want them to be but I really feel like STDs are becoming mandatory. UGH!!! engagement party? really? i mentioned that to my mom and i was really talking about my charlotte friends and family but that's still like 30 people. i think if i'm gonna keep a tight budget i'd rather shift those funds to the wedding. so no engagement party, cost-effective STDs, oh-- the engagement photos & wedding website by my sis who will hook it up since she does this professionally, and absolutely no pre-honeymoon trip. YEAH RIGHT!! you need a planner. someone OTHER THAN your mom to wrangle your crazily snowballing ideas. i think like dani i might start a revolt.

Adei von K said...

Dani- with my teacher salary, I JUST bought the smallest package of FAMU grad pics. $100+ for some wallets and two or three 5x7s. highway robbery.
Go ahead and make your own rules! its your wedding and more importantly, your budget/money!

Michelle- yep. that sounds like the normal amt of time to spend peering into other's lives... I was looking at HU people and even the wedding you were at... Stuart? I'm a no-go on pre-honeymoon. I will spend that money on a bomb DJ for the reception!
oh yeah, POST SOMETHING!!!!

Rashan- LMAO!!! You need to stop!! i'm wary of diseases too!! LOLOLOL
Ooooh!! That'll be AWES, no RAH-SOME if I take your e-pics!!! YAY!!!

Jam- I do need a wedding wrangler.
HU people love them a e-party!! I think the Reds have been to a million!! I really really think Chantal had 2.
Pre-honeymoon vacay is extra. That is the most extraneous of the whole lot.

Jameil said...

and i saw the one in question and was like no wonder she wants this. their cruise was over 1k each. oh yes i looked it up after seeing how AMAZING it looked! lol. that better be for the honeymoon. i really need to know where the honeymoon is. the actual moon? dang!